This little furry creature came into our lives one cold and rainy day. April spotted her first, her ears popping up out of the hedge at the edge of our neighbors yard. Hiding and wailing at the same time, I knew that her situation was desperate and that she truly needed our help. She would not come near me and would run and hide as soon as I made a move toward her. The best thing for desperate kittens is food and water so we provided those first. We watched from the kitchen window as she devoured the food and drank nearly a half cup of water. I waited a bit - not wanting to tax her digestive system too much. About an hour later I put out more food and water. I didn't see her but went out to check in another hour and found both dishes empty.
It promised to be a cold and wet night so we rounded up an extra cat bed and more food. These were installed in the garage near the door which was propped up a bit to allow for easy access. We watched as her hungry little nose sought out the fragrant food and she disappeared into her makeshift shelter for the night.
As I lie in bed that night drifting off to sleep I vacillated between worry and frustration. Though I felt compelled to help the little creature, at the same time I was a bit pissed off at her for showing up. I had enough on my plate and didn't need to take care of someone else. Especially one that might be so needy. Then I realized...this was a gift. Hadn't I just been studying a Buddhist teaching about suffering, that sticky wicket of human existence. I was being provided with the perfect situation for the practice of understanding suffering - that of another as well as my own. Certainly This cat's situation was much more precarious than my own. I had a roof over my head, a warm bed and plenty of food. I was loved and cared for by my partner and the many friends and family who had stepped forward to lend their assistance to us in this difficult time. Even though April was so ill, we had access to incredible medical care and the means to get it. Surely, I could manage to be loving and compassionate to this poor lost kitten and provide for her needs.
That is the thing about putting yourself forward to help another - it feels good - to everyone involved. And it helps put everything into perspective.
Over the next couple of weeks little Gem, as she came to be called, plumped up, got her shots, was spayed, and became a great lap cat. She is now with my friends Sue and Russ, spreading her special brand of warmth and compassion into their household. She came at the perfect time and helped me learn a very valuable lesson.
Thank You Gem.

It promised to be a cold and wet night so we rounded up an extra cat bed and more food. These were installed in the garage near the door which was propped up a bit to allow for easy access. We watched as her hungry little nose sought out the fragrant food and she disappeared into her makeshift shelter for the night.
As I lie in bed that night drifting off to sleep I vacillated between worry and frustration. Though I felt compelled to help the little creature, at the same time I was a bit pissed off at her for showing up. I had enough on my plate and didn't need to take care of someone else. Especially one that might be so needy. Then I realized...this was a gift. Hadn't I just been studying a Buddhist teaching about suffering, that sticky wicket of human existence. I was being provided with the perfect situation for the practice of understanding suffering - that of another as well as my own. Certainly This cat's situation was much more precarious than my own. I had a roof over my head, a warm bed and plenty of food. I was loved and cared for by my partner and the many friends and family who had stepped forward to lend their assistance to us in this difficult time. Even though April was so ill, we had access to incredible medical care and the means to get it. Surely, I could manage to be loving and compassionate to this poor lost kitten and provide for her needs.
That is the thing about putting yourself forward to help another - it feels good - to everyone involved. And it helps put everything into perspective.
Over the next couple of weeks little Gem, as she came to be called, plumped up, got her shots, was spayed, and became a great lap cat. She is now with my friends Sue and Russ, spreading her special brand of warmth and compassion into their household. She came at the perfect time and helped me learn a very valuable lesson.
Thank You Gem.
A "gem" of a post. Seems that your journey is rife with teachable moments and messages of understanding,compassion and love.
ReplyDeleteI believe this physical life to be a big classroom for growth of my authentic spiritual self and share my experiences with others in the hope that they, too, may benefit. I just hope that I am an A student - just in case anyone is watching.
ReplyDelete