Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Post Surgery Day #1

I was so excited to see April for the first time after surgery late last night. She looked amazeingly well considering the seriousness of the surgery.  I shared with her the news that surgery went well and her outlook is very optimistic. The docs both confirmed that information with her this morning and she is so happy. Yesterday before going into surgery she asked me not to cry later when I saw her. Well, guess who was doing all the crying during that conversation - all I have to say is she started it!

She had a few rough spots with pain last night and early this morning. I have been at the hospital with her for the duration and have had very little sleep in the past three days. But I am glad I stayed with her to help get the pain meds regulated so that she could rest. She will be mostly sleeping for the rest of the day and part of tomorrow but they may start getting her up and around later in the afternoon.

Those of you who know April well know that she is a very proud and pretty tough. In fact her Neurosurgeon, Dr. Vates, calls her a "tough broad".  She is not bothered by this in the least. In fact, she revels in it.  Dispite her toughness, she can also be quite senstive. She has a very large incision across the top of her head just in front of her ears as well as swelling and brusing on her face. Becasue of this, and the amount of work that she will be asked to do in order to transition out of the hospital in the next 4 or 5 days, she is not feeling up to visitors. I would ask that everyone respect her wishes and she or I will get the word out as that changes.

We don't know yet where she will be going when she leaves the hospital but we do know that she has a long road of rehab ahead of her. Hawaii is still our goal, though our trip has been rescheduled from October until the following April. A fitting month, I must say.



No comments:

Post a Comment