This has been a day of ups and downs. Lots of bumps in the road.
April and I love to travel and, when you like travel and you like beaches, flying becomes almost a necessity. We do it but we are not good at it and we really don't like it. I can tolerate the cruising part but take-off and landing, especially landing, can send me into a bit of a loosely controlled panic. We have this little landing game. I close my eyes while April watches out the window and sings one of her original event specific songs. This one is about riding in an old pick-up along a bumpy country road. It's silly, but we are silly, and being silly really does help.
This has been a serious surgery. About as serious as you can get. There is no silly here. Try to imagine having your brain and sinuses messed around with for four hours. There is lots of pain, disorientation, and it is difficult to breath and swallow. Medication makes the pain bearable but your head and stomach feel like you have been riding a roller coaster all day. Just sitting up for a minute or two and drinking water is exhausting.
Right now my job is to take notes on medications and the information imparted by doctors and nurses. To make sure she is drinking and that the pain is controlled. Tomorrow there will be some procedures: an MRI, removal of bandages and nasal packing. Maybe even getting her up from bed so see if she is able to stand. I sleep when I can and try to remember to eat.
Maybe the time will come for me to sing the bumpy road song - but not yet. For now I hover and I keep the pay-off in sight. This may be a long bumpy road but HOPE is in the back seat cheering us on and we are well on our way.
No comments:
Post a Comment